Town Hall on Shooting in Ferguson, Missouri
Panelists talked about race relations following the August 9, 2014, police shooting of unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown and the subsequent… read more
Panelists talked about race relations following the August 9, 2014, police shooting of unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown and the subsequent protests in Ferguson, Missouri. Topics included militarization of the police, community policing, and reform of the criminal justice system. Danny Glover participated via a telephone call.
“Ferguson and Beyond - The Way Forward: A Town Hall Meeting on Police Killings of Black Men” was part of the Busboys and Poets series A.C.T.O.R (A Continuing Talk on Race), held at the 5th & K location. It was co-sponsored by the Institute of the Black World 21st Century (IBW) and the Institute for Policy Studies.
Some audio difficulties.
Some language that may be offensive. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Barbara R. Arnwine President and Executive Director Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Ron Daniels President Institute of the Black World 21st Century
- Danny Glover Actor
- Ayanna Gregory Singer
- Dick Gregory Activist
- Ronald Hampton Advisory Member National Police Accountability Project
- Don Rojas Director Institute of the Black World 21st Century->Communications
- Anas "Andy" Shallal Owner Busboys and Poets
- Hilary O. Shelton Senior Vice President Washington
- Nkechi Taifa Senior Policy Analyst Open Society Institute->Civil and Criminal Justice Reform
- Erica Totten Activist
- Jasiri X Entertainer
Hosting OrganizationMore Hosting Organizations
Police Treatment of Minorities
Participants focused on the brutality some police officers use towards minority groups. They stressed that the…
War on Drugs and the African-American Community
The Institute of the Black World 21st Century held a forum on the impact of the policies of the “War on…
Transforming Conditions for Poor Minorities
As part of an initiative to revitalize America’s “dark ghettos,” participants spoke about investment…
Town Hall Meeting on Race Relations
Participants talked about the state of race relations, particularly in regards to relations with law enforcement…