Islam and foreign policy experts talked about the causes for the rise of radicalism in Iraq and Syria and the creation of militant groups… read more
Islam and foreign policy experts talked about the causes for the rise of radicalism in Iraq and Syria and the creation of militant groups such as ISIS*. They discussed the intentions of ISIS and the threat posed to the Middle East and the rest of the world. The panelists provide criticism of the Obama administration’s response to ISIS and offered recommendations for moving forward.
The Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy’s event, “ISIS, Radicalization, and the Politics of Violence and Alienation,” was held at the National Press Club.
*The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), is a militant group that has called itself the Islamic State. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Michele Dunne Senior Associate Carnegie Endowment for International Peace->Middle East Program
- John L. Esposito Founding Director Georgetown University->Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding
- Shadi Hamid Fellow Brookings Institution->Project on U.S. Relations with the Islamic World
- William Lawrence Director Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy->Middle East and North Africa Programs
- Radwan A. Masmoudi Founder and President Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy
- Michael E. O'Hanlon Senior Fellow Brookings Institution->Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence
ISIS Threat to the U.S.
James Jay Carafano talked about U.S response to the threat from ISIS.* Among other topics, he discussed included…
Telephone lines were open for viewer responses to the question, “What are the military options against the…
U.S. Policy on Combating ISIS
Foreign Policy senior writer Shane Harris spoke by phone about the latest on U.S. strategy to combat ISIS' stronghold…
Military Options in Dealing with Middle East Terrorists
Andrew Tilghman talked about the Defense Department’s role in countering ISIL* in Iraq as the U.S. continues…