California Economic Roundtable
President Clinton met with state business, community, and political leaders to talk about the area’s slow economy. He stressed… read more
President Clinton met with state business, community, and political leaders to talk about the area’s slow economy. He stressed the need to convert from a defense to a domestic economy and to rebuild urban communities. Seated and addressing these leaders at a roundtable discussion, President Clinton empathized with area leaders and focused on the need for greater cooperation between the private and public sectors. Participants directed their specific concerns, ideas, and questions to the president, and he responded to each. California’s unemployment rate in November was 8.6 percent which is more than two percent higher than the national average. One-eighth of the U.S. workforce is employed in California. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Richard Chol Bertach Representative Metrosound, USA
- Barbara Boxer U.S. Senator [D] California
- Eli Broad President Sun America
- Ron Brown Secretary Department of Commerce
- Bill Clinton U.S. President [D] United States
- Frank Cruez Representative Gulf Atlantic Life Insurance
- Martha Diepenbrock Administrator Los Angeles, CA->Conservation Corps
- Leo Estrada Professor University of California, Los Angeles->Public Policy and Social Research
- Dianne Feinstein U.S. Senator [D] California
- George Golleher Representative Food for Less
- Stephen "Steve" Horn U.S. Representative [R] California
- Carlton Jenkins Representative Founders National Bank
- Larry Kimbell Director University of California, Los Angeles->Economic Forcasting Group
- Jack Kyser Chief Economist Economic Development Corp. of L.A.
- Bruce Lee Representative UAW
- Monica Lozano-Centanino Spokeswoman La Opinion Newspapers
- John Mack President National Urban League->Los Angeles, CA
- James Montgomery Representative Great Western Savings
- Carlos J. Moorhead U.S. Representative [R] California
- Mark Pisano Executive Director Southern California Assoc. of Government
- Safi Qureshy Officer AST Computers
- Beth Renge Chairwoman Renge Securities and Company
- Frank Sanchez Representative Los Angeles, CA->Harbor Commission
- Brenda Shockley Executive Community Build, Inc.
- Tom Soto Representative PS Enterprises
- Kathryn Thompson Chair Thompson Development Co.
- Rosemary Tomich Representative Livestock Clearinghouse, Inc.
- Franklin White Spokesman Metropolitan Transit Authority (New York)
- Jim Wood Spokesman AFL-CIO
Democratic Fundraiser Speech
President Clinton spoke to Democratic supporters during a party fundraiser in Hollywood, CA. He spoke about his…
California Earthquake Relief
Addressing members of the Congress gathered in the Grand Foyer, President Clinton focused on the latest round of awards…
Midwest Flood Relief
At Fox Senior High School, the president, the vice-president, and members of the president’s cabinet discussed…