President Johnson 1965 Inauguration
President Johnson addressed the nation following his swearing-in during the presidential inauguration ceremony. The president was… read more
President Johnson addressed the nation following his swearing-in during the presidential inauguration ceremony.
The president was sworn-in by Chief Justice Earl Warren. The ceremony also included the swearing-in of Vice President Humphrey by Speaker of the House McCormack. Music included the U.S. Marine Corp Band. Leontyne Price sang “America the Beautiful” and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang “This Is My Country.” Highlights of the inaugural parade were shown.
The film Inauguration of the President and the Vice President of the United States of America was produced by the U.S. Naval Photographic Center and the Senate Recording Studio for the 1965 Joint Inaugural Committee. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- George R. Davis Senior Minister National City Christian Church (Washington, DC)
- Hubert H. Humphrey Jr. U.S. Vice President United States
- Lyndon Baines Johnson U.S. President [D] United States
- B. Everett Jordan U.S. Senator [D] North Carolina
- Robert E. Lucey Archbishop Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio (TX)
- John W. McCormack U.S. Representative [D] Massachusetts
- Hyman Judah Schachtel Chief Rabbi Congregation Beth Israel (Houston, TX)
- Earl Warren Chief Justice U.S. Supreme Court
President Nixon 1969 Inauguration
C-SPAN showed a highlight of the first inauguration of Richard Nixon courtesy of the Senate Recording Studio.
Medicare Signing Ceremony
Archival footage courtesy of ABC of President Johnson’s 1965 Medicare signing ceremony.
State of the Union Address
President Johnson spoke to Congress regarding the State of the Union. He focused on the need to improve the…
Lyndon Johnson Radio Proclamation on Kennedy Assassination
President Johnson read a proclamation to the nation the day after John F. Kennedy was assassinated. He praised the…