Lincoln-Douglas Jonesboro Debate Preview
Professor Splaine reviewed the context of the debates and the significance for its constitutional arguments concerning… read more
Professor Splaine reviewed the context of the debates and the significance for its constitutional arguments concerning slavery.
Professor Simon talked about the significance of the setting for this debate in the southern part of the state, the book, When Lincoln Came to Egypt, Mr. Lincoln’s activities in this part of the state, and the legacy of the debates.
Mayor Gardner and Ms. Ayers talked about the effort of re-enacting the debate.
Professors Medford and Simon discussed the main issues raised in this debate, the constitutional status of slavery and states' versus federal powers.
By telephone, Governor Dean talked about the large increase in federal powers versus the states since 1858 and the political differences between 1858 and today.
Several history students from Howard and Southern Illinois universities discussed what they would be looking for in the debate.
Bart McFadden was a C-SPAN Lincoln-Douglas Essay winner.
There is an audio level drop midway through the program. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Ayers, Esther Mary Coordinator Jonesboro, IL->Lincoln-Douglas Committee
- Davidson, Roger Jr. Graduate Student Howard University->History Department
- Dean, Howard M.D. Governor [D] Vermont
- Gardner, John Mayor Jonesboro
- Josiah, Barbara Graduate Student Howard University->History Department
- McFadden, Bart Student Tennessee
- Medford, Edna Greene Associate Professor Howard University->History Department
- Simon, John Professor Southern Illinois University->History
- Splaine, John E. Associate Professor University of Maryland, College Park->Education
- Williams, Yohuru R. Graduate Student Howard University->History Department
- Lamb, Brian Host C-SPAN
Lincoln-Douglas Jonesboro Debate Review
Professors Simon and Medford talked about the significance of this debate for both Lincoln and Douglas and the issues…
Lincoln-Douglas Charleston Debate Preview
Professor Splaine reviewed the first three debates and previewed this fourth debate. Mayor Cougill talked about…
Lincoln-Douglas Quincy Debate Preview
Historians, participants, and spectators talked about the
significance of the debates, especially the sixth debate in…
Lincoln Douglas Alton Debate Preview
Historians, participants, and spectators discussed the significance of the debates, especially the last debate in…