Bork Nomination Day 1, Part 1
The committee begins hearings on the nomination of Judge Robert Bork to be associate justice of the Supreme Court. Former President… read more
The committee begins hearings on the nomination of Judge Robert Bork to be associate justice of the Supreme Court. Former President Ford, Senators Dole and Danforth, and Congressman Fish present Judge Bork to the committee during the first half hour.
Opening statements follow, lasting approximately three hours. They center on the importance of the appointment and the Senate’s role. Senator Biden and Judge Bork conclude this section, with their
statements lasting 17 and 9 minutes respectively. Judge Bork uses the time to expound his legal philosophy.
There are short breaks during the hearing. One break contains interviews outside the hearing room with Senators Dole and Heflin. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Robert H. Bork Judge U.S. Court of Appeals->District of Columbia Circuit
- John C. Danforth U.S. Senator [R] Missouri
- Robert "Bob" Joseph Dole U.S. Senator [R] Kansas
- Hamilton "Ham" Fish Jr. U.S. Representative [R] New York
- Gerald Rudolph Ford Jr. U.S. President (Former) [R] United States
- Joseph "Joe" R. Biden Jr. U.S. Senator [D] Delaware
- Dennis DeConcini U.S. Senator [D] Arizona
- Charles "Chuck" E. Grassley U.S. Senator [R] Iowa
- Orrin Hatch U.S. Senator [R] Utah
- Howell T. Heflin U.S. Senator [D] Alabama
- Gordon J. Humphrey U.S. Senator [R] New Hampshire
- Edward "Ted" M. Kennedy U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
- Patrick J. Leahy U.S. Senator [D] Vermont
- Howard M. Metzenbaum U.S. Senator [D] Ohio
- Paul Simon U.S. Senator [D] Illinois
- Alan K. Simpson U.S. Senator [R] Wyoming
- Arlen Specter U.S. Senator [R] Pennsylvania
- James "Strom" Strom Thurmond U.S. Senator [R] South Carolina
More Videos From
Bork Nomination Day 1,
Bork Nomination Hearings
Prior to the confirmation hearings for Judge John Roberts, a compilation of Senate Judiciary Committee hearings on the…
Bork Nomination Day 1, Part 2
Committee chairman Biden begins the questioning of Judge Bork.
Senator Byrd, arriving late for the hearing, is granted…
Bork Nomination Day 2
The Senate Judiciary committee questioned United States Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork. Judge Bork’s…
Bork Nomination Day 3, Part 2
Due to technical difficulties, this program has occasional low audio.
In the afternoon session Senator Specter questions…