C-SPAN is a public service created by the American Cable Television Industry
- To provide C-SPAN's audience access to the live gavel-to-gavel proceedings of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate, and to other forums where public policy is discussed, debated and decided––all without editing, commentary or analysis and with a balanced presentation of points of view;
- To provide elected and appointed officials and others who would influence public policy a direct conduit to the audience without filtering or otherwise distorting their points of view;
- To provide the audience, through the call-in program, direct access to elected officials, other decision makers and journalists on a frequent and open basis;
- To employ production values that accurately convey the business of government rather than distract from it; and
- To conduct all other aspects of its operations consistent with these principles.