Hugh Reilly talks about Standing Bear v. Crook, the 1879 landmark case involved the Ponca Indian's chief Standing Bear, the United States Government, and General George Crook. It recognized an Indian as a "person" under the law.
Bell Ringer Assignment
- Who was Standing Bear?
- Explain the circumstances under which the Ponca relocated to Oklahoma. Describe their experiences.
- Who was General Crook? What were his views on Native Americans?
- What was General Crook asked to do? What action did he take?
- Explain the legal battle that arose out of this controversy.
- What effect did this case have on Native Americans and the U.S.?