On November 19, 1939, President Franklin D. Roosevelt held a ceremony to lay the cornerstone of Presidential Library and Museum in Hyde Park, New York. His was the first presidential library in the nation which intended to grant public access to the records of his presidency. Roosevelt donated the library, which sat next to his home in Hyde Park, to the federal government for the public to maintain direct access to its materials. Roosevelt's initiative would set a precedent for future presidents and expand the scope of the National Archives.
Curator Herman Eberhardt tours the FDR Presidential Library and Museum.