Dr. Graham Allison discusses the key events, decisions, and effects of the Cuban Missile Crisis on its 50th anniversary.
Bell Ringer Assignment
- Why do some historians describe the Cuban Missile Crisis as “the most dangerous moment in recorded human history?”
- How long was the Kennedy administration able to have private deliberations about the crisis before the public knew of the missiles? Why did it prove to be critical that he had this amount of time?
- What did the naval blockade of Cuba that Kennedy ordered accomplish? What was the problem with the blockade?
- What were the only two options that Kennedy’s advisors presented to him? What were the problems with each of these options?
- What was the third option that Kennedy himself came up with “in the last minute” that ultimately ended the crisis?