12:56 PM EST

Howard L. Berman, D-CA 28th

Mr. BERMAN. Mr. Speaker, I ask unanimous consent that all Members may have 5 legislative days to revise and extend their remarks and include extraneous material on the resolution under consideration.

12:57 PM EST

David Wu, D-OR 1st

Mr. WU. Mr. Speaker, I thank the gentleman.

Mr. Speaker, the history of America is the history of ordinary individuals who rise to extraordinary challenges and who volunteer their service in times of dire need. I rise today to recognize one such American, Major Arthur Chin.

Arthur Chin was born in Portland, Oregon in 1913. As a young man, he helped form a flying club, the Chinese Aero Club, a group of Chinese Americans who trained to fly fighter aircraft. He grew very concerned about Japan's invasion of China's northeastern provinces in 1931, and he volunteered to serve in the Chinese Air Force in 1932. Although he was safe at home in Oregon and did not need to do this, he saw the threat of fascist invasion and [Page: H1247]

the need

to face it down, and he volunteered himself to face this challenge, not only to China, but to the world.

After receiving advanced fighter training, Major Chin was ultimately assigned to the 28th Fighter Squadron, and he saw his first aerial combat in 1937, four years before America entered the war. Soon he was credited with having shot down his first enemy aircraft of the war. Though he and his comrades were almost always outnumbered, Chin and his fellow aviators fought valiantly, and by mid-1939 he had downed five enemy aircraft, making him one of the first American fighter aces of the Second World


But Arthur Chin's heroism was not without personal sacrifice. He was shot down three times, and on December 27, 1939, he was badly burned when his Gloster Gladiator took enemy fire and exploded. Chin spent the next years of his life enduring a painful recovery in hospitals in China, India and the United States.

After America entered the war, he returned to service in 1944 as a major in the United States Army Air Force. Major Chin spent the remainder of the war flying desperately needed supplies from India to China over the Himalayas, the air route now known as ``the hump.'' For his extraordinary service, Arthur Chin received numerous medals and awards, including the Distinguished Flying Cross.

[Time: 13:00]

After the war, he returned to his native Portland where he raised a family and worked for the postal service in Beaverton. Arthur Chin passed away in September of 1997, and following his death he was honored as one of the first inductees into the American Combat Airmen's Hall of Fame.

Mr. Speaker, it is altogether fitting that we should recognize Major Arthur Chin, both a former postal worker and a genuine war hero, with a post office named in his honor. It is an appropriate memorial to an individual who courageously answered the call of duty, whether at home or abroad, and who returned home to continue serving his country as a postal worker. I strongly urge my colleagues to support this bill.

1:00 PM EST

Dan Burton, R-IN 5th

Mr. BURTON of Indiana. Mr. Speaker, I will submit the majority of my remarks for the Record.

I would just like to say that after reading about this gentleman, Mr. Chin, I think it is a great honor for him to receive having his name put on this post office. But he earned it. He really earned it. When you read about his exploits, as my colleague just mentioned, you can see why people like this deserve recognition.