“A Former Inmate and a Warden on Rehabilitation” was part of the day-long event, “Race and Justice in America: An Atlantic Summit.” It was inspired by the October 2015 cover story, “The Black Family in the Age of Mass Incarceration,” by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
Nneka Jones Tapea, the executive director of the Cook County Department of Corrections, and Susan Burton, the founder and executive director of A New Way of Life Reentry project, discussed the challenges facing those re-entering society.
“A Former Inmate and a Warden on Rehabilitation” was part of the day-long event, “Race and Justice in America: An Atlantic Summit.” It was inspired by the October 2015 cover story, “The Black Family in the Age of Mass Incarceration,” by Ta-Nehisi Coates. close
People in this video
Susan Burton Founder and Executive Director New Way of Life Re-Entry Project, A
Michele Norris Host and Special Correspondent NPR
Nneka Jones Tapia Executive Director Cook County, IL->Department of Corrections
- Matt Thompson Deputy Editor Atlantic, The->TheAtlantic.com
- [Atlantic, The] | AtlanticLIVE[Atlantic, The] | AtlanticLIVE
More Videos From
The Atlantic Summit on Race and Justice in America
- Criminal Justice in New Orleans
- Gun Violence, Policing, and Communities
- Role of the Court in Race and Justice
- Race and Justice Programs of the Open Society Foundations
- Talking about Race
- Racial Profiling
- Community Policing and Race Relations
- Prison Diversion Programs
- Sentencing Drug Offenders
- Race and Justice Programs of the Ford Foundation
- Children of Prisoners
- Prisoner Rehabilitation
- Valerie Jarrett on Race and Justice
- Looking Ahead at Race and Justice
Becoming Ms. Burton
Susan Burton talked about her book Becoming Ms. Burton: From Prison to Recovery to Leading the Fight for Incarcerated Women.…
Executive Order on Executive Branch Reorganization
President Trump made remarks before signing an executive order to reorganize the executive branch.
Overview of Montgomery County Correctional Facility
Robert Green provided an overview of the Montgomery County Correctional Facility in Boyds, Maryland, and talked about…
Summer Reading: Vernon Burton
Vernon Burton spoke about his new book The Age of Lincoln and his summer reading plans.