The committee heard testimony about illegitimate tax shelters. Senator Levin testified about his experiences working to curb abusive… read more
The committee heard testimony about illegitimate tax shelters. Senator Levin testified about his experiences working to curb abusive tax shelters.
A panel of witnesses testified about tax shelter scams that they knew about. Some of them were allegedly fired for revealing illegal tax shelters to the Internal Revenue Service and were also being sued. One witness, a former leasing executive, was not identified for fear of legal liability. He was referred to as “Mr. Janet,” and testified from behind a screen with voice distortion.
A panel of government tax officials testified about efforts to crack down on certain kinds of abusive tax shelters. Topics included investment schemes, deceptive auditing, foreign partnerships, and more. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Michael Brostek Director General Accounting Office->Tax Administration Issues
- Henry Camferdam Investor Indianapolis, IN
- Philip Cook Attorney
- Mark W. Everson Commissioner Internal Revenue Service
- Michael Hamersley Employee (Former) KPMG LLP
- Robert Lally Accountant
- Carl Levin U.S. Senator [D] Michigan
- William J. McDonough Chairman Public Company Accounting Oversight Board
- Eileen J. O'Connor Assistant Attorney General Department of Justice->Tax Division
- Pamela F. Olson Assistant Secretary Department of the Treasury->Tax Administration
- Robert Schmidt Employee Levi Strauss and Company
- Thomas Walsh Employee (Former) Levi Strauss and Company
- B. John Williams Jr. Attorney
- Max Baucus U.S. Senator [D] Montana
- Jeff Bingaman U.S. Senator [D] New Mexico
- Jim Bunning U.S. Senator [R] Kentucky
- Chuck Grassley U.S. Senator [R] Iowa
Income Tax Enforcement
The Senate Finance Committee held a hearing on auditing, monitoring, and enforcement of income tax rules by the…
IRS Commissioner Confirmation Hearing
Mr. Everson testified in relation to his nomination to be commissioner of the IRS.
Corporate Tax Legislation
Senate Finance Committee members talked with reporters about some of the provisions in the corporate tax bill passed by…
The committee held a hearing on charitable giving, accountability and financial record-keeping by non-profit…