The Real State of U.S. Foreign Policy
Mr. Clemons moderated a half-day forum on the future of U.S. foreign policy. Participants talked about successes and failures in… read more
Mr. Clemons moderated a half-day forum on the future of U.S. foreign policy. Participants talked about successes and failures in building post-Cold War strategies, assessing and meeting emerging threats to global security, and current policies in combating terrorism and operations in Iraq.
Mr. O’Sullivan cited the Bush doctrine of pre-emption in the post-9/11 environment and the push for UN reform as pivotal moves on the administration’s part to reshape foreign policy and the international landscape. A self-described neo-conservative realist, he also made mention of the new unfolding possibilities for a U.S. role between Israel and Palestine, not despite but as a result of the democratic election of Hamas to the helm of Palestinian leadership.
In Session 2, “Global Outlooks: American Grand Strategy and Widening Arcs of Instability,” panelists assessed international economic security, the successes and failures of the war on terror, roots and consequences of the strategy of democratization, and the false assumptions underlying current U.S. policy-making.
In Session 3, “Taking Stock of the U.S. National Interest: Comments on Post Cold War Strategies That Address Tomorrow’s Global Stress Points,” panelists talked about democratic values and the War on Terror, but the panel arguing that the current course of action was not sustainable for the future.
General Clark gave the keynote address focusing on the lessons learned in his career as an Army officer, current operations in Iraq, and emerging security threats around the world. close
People in this video
- Bergen, Peter L. Fellow New America Foundation
- Blumenthal, Sidney Senior Fellow Center on Law and Security
- Clark, Wesley K. Chair City Year->Little Rock, AR
- Clemons, Steven C. Senior Fellow and Director New America Foundation->American Strategy Program
- Lieven, Anatol Senior Research Fellow New America Foundation->American Strategy Program
- Lind, Michael Senior Fellow New America Foundation
- Nealer, Kevin Partner Scowcroft Group
- O'Sullivan, John Director Hudson Institute->Center for European Studies
- Prestowitz, Clyde V. Jr. President Economic Strategy Institute
- Schwenninger, Sherle R. Senior Fellow World Policy Institute
- Sherman, Wendy R. Assistant Undersecretary (Former) Department of State
- Simes, Dimitri K. President Nixon Center
American Strategic Concerns
Participants talked about U.S. foreign policy and military strategy in efforts to combat international…
U.S. Middle East Policy
Flynt Leverett spoke about U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East and future strategies for building relations in the…
U.S. Foreign Policy
Mr. Gvosdev moderated a roundtable discussion as panelists addressed United States foreign policy in the Middle…
U.S. Influence in the World
Werner Hoyer talked about global perceptions of the U.S., and its diminishing ability to influence international…