Three senators testified about proposed legislation to modernize the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Other witnesses testified… read more
Three senators testified about proposed legislation to modernize the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Other witnesses testified about enhancing the safety of toys, focusing on lead paint and the role of the Consumer Product Safety Commission in strengthening toy safety standards. Other topics included recent recalls of children’s toys, efforts to improve the safety of imported products, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s budget and statutory authority. The Commission recently recalled nearly 700,000 Chinese-made toys having excessive amounts of lead paint and some that had small loose parts such as magnets.
A representative of the delegation of China’s General Administration for Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, who was in town for a meeting with the CPSC, was requested to testify but did not appear. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Joe Bhatia President and CEO American National Standards Institute
- Robert Eckert Chief Executive Officer Mattel Inc.
- Sally Greenberg Senior Counsel Consumers Union->Product Safety
- Carter Keithley President Toy Industry Association
- Amy Klobuchar U.S. Senator [D] Minnesota
- Thomas H. Moore Commissioner Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Bill Nelson U.S. Senator [D] Florida
- Nancy A. Nord Chair (Acting) Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Mark Pryor U.S. Senator [D] Arkansas
- Gerald Storch Chief Executive Officer Toys 'R' Us
- Samuel "Sam" Brownback U.S. Senator [R] Kansas
- Dick Durbin U.S. Senator [D] Illinois
Fiscal Year 2009 Consumer Product Safety Commission Budget
Witnesses testified about fiscal year 2009 appropriations for the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Among the…
U.S.-China Product Safety Summit
Chairman Nord and Vice Minister Wei gave opening remarks following which they signed the joint statement on enhancing…
A hearing was held to examine proposed reforms to make the Consumer Product Safety Commission more effective in…
Consumer Product Safety Commission
Witnesses testified about proposed bipartisan legislation, H.R. 4040, to strengthen the capabilities of the Consumer…