Campaign 2008 and the Federal Deficit
The economic proposals of Senators John McCain and Barack Obama were examined in a panel discussion on the economic options of the next… read more
The economic proposals of Senators John McCain and Barack Obama were examined in a panel discussion on the economic options of the next president with a budget deficit and an economy weakened by depressed housing, financial, and job markets. Issues included tax increases, budget cuts, and the long-term solvency of Social Security and the health care system. David Wessel moderated.
Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a former director of the Congressional Budget Office, is chief economist for the Council of Economic Advisors. Jeffrey Liebman, a former special assistant to President Clinton for economic policy, is a professor of public policy at Harvard.
This AARP Solutions Forum titled “How Will the Next President Pay the Nations' Bills?” was held at the Washington Court Hotel. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas J. Director (Former) McCain Presidential Campaign->Economic Policy
- Liebman, Jeffrey B. Policy Adviser Obama Presidential Campaign->Economics
- Reinhard, Susan Senior Vice President and Director AARP->Public Policy Institute
- Rogers, Diane Lim Chief Economist Concord Coalition
- Rother, John Group Executive Officer AARP->Policy and Strategy
- Wessel, David M. Editor Wall Street Journal->Economics
Campaign 2008 and Moral Issuses
Lou Engle, former Governor Mike Huckabee, Tony Perkins, and Bishop Harry Jackson talked about the current political…
Campaign 2008 Bus Debuts in New Hampshire
Phones were opened and callers talked about the qualifications to be president. Campaign ads and topical news…
Campaign 2008 and Iowa
Participating by remote connection from Des Moines, Mike Glover talked about the impact that 2008 presidential…
Senator McCain's Energy Policy
Douglas Holtz-Eakin talked about Senator McCain’s energy policy and responded to telephone calls and electronic…