Funeral Service for Senator Claiborne Pell
A funeral service was held for former Senator Claiborne deBorda Pell, who died January 1, 2009, at the age of 90. The senator, who was… read more
A funeral service was held for former Senator Claiborne deBorda Pell, who died January 1, 2009, at the age of 90. The senator, who was active in the creation of the National Endowment for the Arts and Humanities, railroad transportation, and banning nuclear tests, was a long-time chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He was best known for the creation of what were later named Pell Grants for higher education.
The service was held by the Pell family and the Pell Center for International Relations and Public Policy at Trinity Episcopal Church in Newport, Rhode Island. The United States Coast Guard provided an honor guard. Former Senator Pell served in the Coast Guard during World War II. Eulogies were given by former President Bill Clinton, Senators Kennedy, Biden, and Reed, and by Nick Pell. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Joseph "Joe" R. Biden Jr. U.S. Senator [D] Delaware
- Bill Clinton U.S. President (Former) [D] United States
- Edward "Ted" M. Kennedy U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
- Claiborne Pell U.S. Senator (Former) [D] Rhode Island
- Herbert Claiborne Pell IV Grandchild Claiborne Pell
- Nicholas Lorillard Pell Grandchild Claiborne Pell
- Tripler Pell M.D. Grandchild Claiborne Pell
- Christina Pell Randall Grandchild Claiborne Pell
- Jack Reed U.S. Senator [D] Rhode Island
- Geralyn Wolf Bishop Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island
- Eames Hamilton Yates Jr. Grandchild Claiborne Pell
2008 Democratic Convention, Day 3
The third day of the Democratic National Convention at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado, focused on military,…
The Senate convened and observed a moment of silence to honor the service and sacrifice of America’s troops.…
The Senate convened and began a period of morning business. Thereafter, the Senate resumed consideration of H.R.3222,…
The Senate convened and resumed consideration of H.R. 1585, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008.