Economic Growth and Equality
The Center for American Progress held a forum on economic growth and equality. After opening remarks from Vanessa Cárdenas and… read more
The Center for American Progress held a forum on economic growth and equality.
After opening remarks from Vanessa Cárdenas and Angela Glover Blackwell, members of the first panel talked about the link between economic growth and equality. Economist Emmanuel Saez in his presentation used graphs to show the relationship between equitable distribution of wealth and economic growth.
In the second discussion, panelists talked about the policies needed to help foster equality in the economic realm and its important to overall national prosperity. Suggestions for promoting equitable growth included strengthening unions, environmental initiatives, and increased support of the transportation system.
Both panels included question and answers portions with the audience. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Angela Glover Blackwell Founder and CEO PolicyLink
- Vanessa Cardenas Director Center for American Progress->Progress 2050
- Mariko Chang Author
- Don Chen Senior Program Officer Ford Foundation
- Denise Fairchild President and CEO Emerald Cities Collaborative
- Bob Herbert Columnist (Former) New York Times
- Janice Nittoli Associate Vice President and Managing Director Rockefeller Foundation
- Manuel Pastor Jr. Professor University of Southern California->Geography and American Studies and Ethnicity
- John D. Podesta President and CEO Center for American Progress
- Emmanuel Saez Director University of California, Berkeley->Equity Growth
- William Spriggs Assistant Secretary Department of Labor->Policy
Economic Challenges of Young Adults
Panelists talked about the economic challenges facing young adults. Topics included the prospects for current and…
Community Health Centers
Community health center (CHC) officials talked about their experiences working in CHCs. CHCs received $2 billion…
Tax and Fiscal Policy
Timothy Geithner spoke about about U.S. tax and fiscal policy. He focused on the state of the economy and said…
State of U.S. Labor Market
The Center for American Progress held a forum on U.S. job creation. John Podesta and Robert Rubin made opening…