History of the Golden Gate Bridge
A symposium was held to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge. Topics included the background of… read more
A symposium was held to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge. Topics included the background of the area before the bridge was built, details of its construction, and its impact on the region. The panelists showed slides as they discusses themes such as preservation, commerce, labor, geography, and demographics that are typically overlooked in standard accounts of the Golden Gate Bridge, which have traditionally focused on the bridge’s importance as an artistic and engineering feat. The panelists responded to questions from members of the audience. John King moderated.
“Spanning Space and Time: The Golden Gate Bridge and the Transformation of the Bay Area” was a program at the California Historical Society in partnership with San Francisco Architectural Heritage and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Brechin, Gray Founder University of California, Berkeley->California’s Living New Deal Project
- Buhler, Michael "Mike" Executive Director San Francisco Architectural Heritage
- Hartig, Anthea M. Executive Director California Historical Society
- King, John Critic San Francisco Chronicle->Urban Design
- Powell, Catherine Director San Francisco State University->Labor Archives and Research Center
- Walker, Richard Professor Emeritus University of California, Berkeley->Geography Department
Hosting OrganizationMore Hosting Organizations
New York Architecture of the 1920s
Architectural historian Barry Lewis talked about the Art Deco architecture of New York City during the Jazz…
Artwork and the Great Depression in Birmingham
Karen Utz used a PowerPoint presentation as she talked about artistic representations of the uneven economic and social…
Hollywood and American Politics
Steven Ross is Chair of the History Department at University of Southern California.
He’s also the author of,…
John Steinbeck's Portrayal of America
David Wrobel spoke about John Steinbeck’s works and what they can teach us about American history. He spoke…