Gun Violence Prevention and Transportation Security
Attorney General Eric Holder, Transportation Security Administrator John Pistole, and Mayor Mike McGinn addressed the U.S. Conference of… read more
Attorney General Eric Holder, Transportation Security Administrator John Pistole, and Mayor Mike McGinn addressed the U.S. Conference of Mayors meeting.
John Pistole talked about balancing access and security in airports. He noted overly stringent security could work against the goals of business and tourism.
Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn gave an update on domestic human trafficking.
Mr. Holder talked about President Obama’s gun control proposals to curb gun violence in reaction to the December 2012 elementary school shooting in Connecticut. He emphasized the need for a balance between protecting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners and giving the Justice Department and police departments around the country the tools to prevent criminals and the mentally ill from acquiring weapons. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- T.M. Franklin Cownie Co-Chair U.S. Conference of Mayors->Task Force on Hunger and Homelessness
- Eric H. Holder Jr. Attorney General Department of Justice
- Mike McGinn Mayor [D] Seattle
- Arlene Mulder Mayor Arlington Heights, IL
- Annise Parker Mayor Houston, TX
- John S. Pistole Administrator Department of Homeland Security->Transportation Security Administration
- Joseph P. Riley Jr. Mayor Charleston, SC
- Anthony Spitaleri Mayor Sunnyvale, CA
- A.C. Wharton Mayor Memphis, TN
Vice President Biden Remarks at U.S. Conference of Mayors
Vice President Joe Biden spoke at the annual winter meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayors. He began with brief…
Hunger and Homelessness Survey
Officials spoke about statistics on hunger and homelessness in the United States. They also responded to questions…
Youth Gun Violence
A panel of officials spoke at a conference for U.S. mayors about youth violence, gun crimes, and weapon trafficking in…
Gun Control Legislation
Witnesses testified about the necessity for new gun control legislation. They focused on the juvenile crime bill…