Bipartisan Opposition to Senate Filibuster
This was a news conference held by an organization called Action, Not Gridlock! It describes itself as a nonprofit educational… read more
This was a news conference held by an organization called Action, Not Gridlock! It describes itself as a nonprofit educational group. More than a dozen former senators, representatives, cabinet members, and governors formed this group in June to call upon current lawmakers to prevent filibusters. This news conference focused on this issue of filibustering with specific reference to the debate over health care reform in the Senate. After Mr. Mathias spoke, the panel took questions from the press. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Buchanan, John U.S. Representative (Former) [R] Alabama
- Fraser, Donald Mayor (Former) [D] Minneapolis
- Mathias, Charles U.S. Senator (Former) [R] Maryland
- Newman, Sandy Executive Director Action, Not Gridlock!
- Proxmire, William U.S. Senator (Former) [D] Wisconsin
- Richardson, Elliot L. Secretary (Former) Department of Commerce
Former legislators and administration officials spoke about the impact of filibusters in the U.S. Senate and the need…
Campus Perspectives on the Private Sector
The conference was sponsored by the National Commission on Public Service in conjunction with the Brookings Institution.
Release of Final Report on Public Service
This was the first U.S. Senate session aired by C-SPAN. The Senate conducted Morning Business and recognized the…