Proposal to Abolish Energy Department
Committee members heard testimony from Rep. Tiahrt, the author of House legislation to abolish the Department of Energy, as well as… read more
Committee members heard testimony from Rep. Tiahrt, the author of House legislation to abolish the Department of Energy, as well as former and current White House officials and others concerning S.1678, legislation which would eliminate the Department of Energy, which was created in 1977. The witnesses testified about the functions of the Department of Energy and how other federal agencies can assume these tasks, such as maintenance of spent nuclear fuel and aging nuclear weapons. They also testified about how much money this would save. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Shelby Brewer Assistant Secretary (Former) Department of Energy
- John "Jack" W. Crawford Member Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board
- Charles Curtis Undersecretary Department of Energy
- Victor Rezendes Director General Accounting Office->Energy Issues
- Carole Keeton Rylander Chair Railroad Commission of Texas
- Egidio Silveri President Go-Tane Service Stations, Inc.
- Harold Smith Assistant Department of Defense->Atomic Energy
- Todd Tiahrt U.S. Representative [R] Kansas
- Caspar W. Weinberger Secretary (Former) Department of Defense
- Rod Grams U.S. Senator [R] Minnesota
Energy Secretary Nomination Hearing
After introductions by Senators Campbell and Skaggs, the committee questioned Federico Pena, President Clinton’s…
In a workshop-style setting, the committee heard testimony about whether electrical utilities are overregulated and…
Energy Secretary Confirmation Hearing
Federico Pena was approved by the committee to be Secretary of Energy. His nomination will be voted on soon in the…
Energy Department Reorganization Part 2
Committee members heard testimony on reorganizing the Energy Department.