Georgia Military Base Closings
Commissioners heard testimony from witnesses at a regional hearing on the closure and realignment of defense bases. Georgia officials… read more
Commissioners heard testimony from witnesses at a regional hearing on the closure and realignment of defense bases. Georgia officials and community leaders testified about recommended closures of Fort McPherson/Fort Gillem.
Witnesses focused on base closure recommendations and the process by which the bases had been selected for closure. They pointed to flaws in the methodology used to evaluate the bases and their role in national security and defense infrastructure of the country as a whole. Others thanked the Defense Department for keeping other facilities open, promising that they would maintain viable communities for military bases. close
People in this video
- Barrow, John U.S. Representative [D] Georgia
- Bilbray, James H. Commissioner Defense Base Closure and Realignment Cmsn.
- Bishop, Sanford Jr. U.S. Representative [D] Georgia
- Brig.Gen. Browning, Phil Executive Director Georgia Military Affairs Coord. Cmte.
- Chambliss, Clarence "Saxby" U.S. Senator [R] Georgia
- Gehman, Harold W. Jr. Commissioner Defense Base Closure and Realignment Cmsn.
- Gingrey, Phil MD U.S. Representative [R] Georgia
- Col. Hadden, Biff Vice President Columbus (GA) Chamber of Commerce
- Capt. Huban, George Chairman Atlanta Chamber of Commerce->Navy Task Force Cmte.
- Isakson, John "Johnny" U.S. Senator [R] Georgia
- Kingston, Jack U.S. Representative [R] Georgia
- Lewis, John U.S. Representative [D] Georgia
- Col. Mitchell, John Partner Fort Benning (GA) Futures Partnership
- Perdue, Sonny Governor Georgia (State)
- Scott, David U.S. Representative [D] Georgia
- Skinner, Samuel K. Commissioner Defense Base Closure and Realignment Cmsn.
- Col. Taylor, Jim Representative Southwest Georgia Alliance for Progress
- Taylor, Larry Commanding General (Retired, Former) U.S. Marine Corps->4th Marine Aircraft Wing
- Westmoreland, Lynn A. U.S. Representative [R] Georgia
- Capt. Yourstone, Walt Executive Director Camden (GA) Partnership
More Videos From
Georgia Military Base ClosingsMore Videos
During a portion of the session the House debated and passed an extension of the 1965 Voting Rights Act for 25 years on…
Members debated a non-binding resolution opposing current U.S. policy in Iraq while supporting military personnel…
Air National Guard Military Base Closings
The 2005 Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission held a regional hearing on the list of possible closures and…