Lincoln Memorial Rededication
The Lincoln Memorial was rededicated to mark the 2009 bicentennial of President Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The memorial was… read more
The Lincoln Memorial was rededicated to mark the 2009 bicentennial of President Abraham Lincoln’s birth. The memorial was originally dedicated on May 30, 1922. Among those in attendance that day was President Lincoln’s eldest and only surviving son, Robert Todd Lincoln. Speakers talked about the history of the memorial and the role of Abraham Lincoln and the Lincoln Memorial in the struggle for freedom and equality. Topics included the remarks of Robert Russa Moton, the second president of the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, at the original dedication ceremony. The only black speaker at that segregated ceremony, his remarks on racial equality were censored. The program also featured performances by the United States Marine Band and by William Farley, winner of Poetry Out Loud, who read a poem by Carl Sandburg.
This Lincoln Memorial Rededication Retrospective was presented by the National Mall and Memorial Parks in collaboration with the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States, the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission, and the Military District of Washington. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Bury, Gordon R. II Commander in Chief Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the U.S.
- Farley, William Student Washington-Lee High School (Arlington, VA)
- Gench, Roger J. Pastor New York Avenue Presbyterian Church (Washington, DC)
- Holzer, Harold Co-Chairman Lincoln (Abraham) Bicentennial Commission
- O'Dell, Peggy Regional Director National Park Service->National Capital Region
- Payton, Benjamin F. President Tuskegee University
- Quintana, Ernest Acting Deputy Director National Park Service
- Salazar, Ken Secretary Department of the Interior
Lincoln Memorial 200th Birthday Ceremony
A ceremony “Commemorating the 200th Anniversary of the Birth of President Abraham Lincoln” was held by the…
Harold Holzer on Rededication of the Lincoln Memorial
Harold Holzer talked about the rededication of the Lincoln Memorial to commemorate the bicentennial of Lincoln’s…
Congressional Celebration of Lincoln's 200th Birthday
President Obama and congressional leaders gathered in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda for a ceremony marking the 200th…
Dedication of Plaque Honoring Senator Bob Dole
Tom Brokaw emceed the dedication of plaque honoring Senator Bob Dole for his lifelong support of American Veterans and…