Bork Nomination Day 2
The Senate Judiciary committee questioned United States Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork. Judge Bork’s hearings lasted 30 hours… read more
The Senate Judiciary committee questioned United States Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork. Judge Bork’s hearings lasted 30 hours over 5 days, taking place in September of 1987. Committee members took approximately 20 to 30 minutes each to question Judge Bork throughout the hearing.
During the second day of inquiry, Senator Metzenbaum introduced the “Saturday Night Massacre,” investigating Bork’s role in the firing of Watergate special prosecutor Archibald Cox. Senator DeConcini questioned Bork’s stance on the equal protection clause in deciding sex-discrimination cases, which Bork had criticized in the past.
Senator Grassley questioned Bork’s civil rights posture and Senator Leahy queried Judge Bork about First Amendment rights. Senator Specter questioned Bork’s stance on original intent and stressed the importance of precedence in deciding Court cases.
President Reagan nominated Judge Bork to the Supreme Court on July 1, 1987. The Senate rejected his nomination on October 23, 1987 with a vote of 42 in favor, 58 opposed. The history of Judge Bork’s disputed nomination is a source of debate over the limits of the “Advice and Consent of the Senate” that the Constitution requires for judicial nominees. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Robert H. Bork Judge U.S. Court of Appeals->District of Columbia Circuit
- Joseph "Joe" R. Biden Jr. U.S. Senator [D] Delaware
- Dennis DeConcini U.S. Senator [D] Arizona
- Charles "Chuck" E. Grassley U.S. Senator [R] Iowa
- Howell T. Heflin U.S. Senator [D] Alabama
- Gordon J. Humphrey U.S. Senator [R] New Hampshire
- Edward "Ted" M. Kennedy U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
- Patrick J. Leahy U.S. Senator [D] Vermont
- Howard M. Metzenbaum U.S. Senator [D] Ohio
- Paul Simon U.S. Senator [D] Illinois
- Alan K. Simpson U.S. Senator [R] Wyoming
- Arlen Specter U.S. Senator [R] Pennsylvania
Bork Nomination Day 1, Part 1
The committee begins hearings on the nomination of Judge Robert Bork to be associate justice of the Supreme…
Bork Nomination Day 3, Part 1
During this morning session, committee members continue inquiry for
approximately one-half hour each. In response…
Bork Nomination Day 1, Part 2
Committee chairman Biden begins the questioning of Judge Bork.
Senator Byrd, arriving late for the hearing, is granted…
Bork Nomination Hearings
Prior to the confirmation hearings for Judge John Roberts, a compilation of Senate Judiciary Committee hearings on the…