* The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), or DAISH/DAESH in Arabic is a militant group that has called itself the Islamic State.
Panelists at the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies talked about ways to combat terrorist threats. Former Turkish Parliament member Aykan Erdemir said the national security approach Turkey was taking against terrorism was not working, and he called on Turkey’s government to have “human security” that included providing language education, social inclusion, and hate crime legislation for refugees. Other speakers included European and Middle East security experts who provided a historical perspective on the rise of modern terrorism and groups such as ISIS*.
* The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), or DAISH/DAESH in Arabic is a militant group that has called itself the Islamic State. close
People in this video
Yonah Alexander Senior Fellow Potomac Institute for Policy Studies
Fabrice Balanche Visiting Fellow Washington Institute for Near East Policy
Alfred M. Gray Jr. Commandant (Former) U.S. Marine Corps
Mahbub Hassan Saleh Deputy Chief of Mission Bangladeshi Embassy
Donald Wallace Jr. Chair International Law Institute
Dieter Dettke Adjunct Professor Georgetown University->Center for Security Studies
Aykan Erdemir Senior Fellow Foundation for Defense of Democracies
Scott Savran Consultant University of Maryland, College Park->Center for Advanced Study of Language
- University of Virginia | Center for National Security LawUniversity of Virginia | Center for National Security Law
- Potomac Institute for Policy Studies | International Center for Terrorism StudiesPotomac Institute for Policy Studies | International Center for Terrorism Studies
- International Law Institute | Inter-University Center for Legal StudiesInternational Law Institute | Inter-University Center for Legal Studies
State Department Daily Briefing
John Kirby briefed reporters and responded to their questions on a variety of international topics, including talks…
"Lone Wolf" Terrorism
Panelists talked about “lone wolf” terrorists. They discussed their characteristics, the process of radicalization,…
News of the Day
A news post was shown warning of a threatened terrorist attack the day before the elections.
Spanish Ambassador to the U.S. Pedro Morenés talked about security, terrorism, and U.S.-Spain relations. Ambassador Morenés…