Investigative Role of Congress
Participants talked about the historical use of the investigatory powers of Congress and oversight roles of various committees. Among the… read more
Participants talked about the historical use of the investigatory powers of Congress and oversight roles of various committees. Among the topics they addressed were the influence of partisanship on decisions to conduct investigations, and the impact of the McCarthy hearings on the process. Following their remarks they answered questions from the audience. close
People in this video
Don E. Carleton Executive Director University of Texas at Austin->Center for American History
Michael L. Gillette Executive Director Humanities Texas
David Oshinsky Professor University of Texas at Austin->History Department
Donald A. Ritchie Associate Historian U.S. Senate
- National Archives and Records AdministrationNational Archives and Records Administration
- Johnson (Lyndon Baines) Presidential Library and MuseumJohnson (Lyndon Baines) Presidential Library and Museum
- Humanities TexasHumanities Texas
- Institute on Congress and American HistoryInstitute on Congress and American History
- University of Texas at Austin | Center for American HistoryUniversity of Texas at Austin | Center for American History
More Videos From
Congress and the PublicMore Videos
Constitution Day at the United States Senate
U.S. Senate Associate Historian Don Ritchie spoke at a ceremony honoring Constitution Day. He spoke about his book Our…
Filling Chairmanships in New Congress
Don Ritchie talked about the complications of filling committee chairmanships in a new Congress.
Transition in New Congress
Don Ritchie talked about the history of Congressional transitions.
Capitol Visitor Center
Don Ritchie talked about the Visitor Center addition to the Capitol. The date of this interview is not known.